>

Home

Memories

Your Town

Features 

Genealogy

Leisure

Links

  Your Home Town
Lanarkshire History and
Old & New Monklands Parishes
Town Index
Airdrie
Airdrie Villages
Annathill
Baillieston
Bargeddie
Bellshill
Bridgend
Calderbank
Caldercruix
Cardowan
Chapelhall
Coatbridge
>The Whifflet
Coatdyke
Chryston
Clarkston
Cumbernauld
Croy
Easterhouse
Faskine
Garnkirk
Gartcosh
Gartloch
Gartsherrie
Garrowhill
Glenboig
Glenmavis
Moodiesburn
Monklands
Old Monkland & Kirkwood
Monklands Timeline
Muirhead
Plains
Shotts
The Whifflet
Auchengeich Mine Disaster
Stanrigg Mining Disaster
Mosside Mine Disaster
clear gif

The Whifflet ChurchesSee also:

Whifflet Parish Church

The original little iron church was blown down at the time of the Tay Bridge disaster. A severe gale on Friday the 16th January, 1882 demolished the church.
The stone building was opened in 1883 at a cost of approx £1,500.   It was demolished in the late 70s.

Whifflet Church, sometimes referred to as Gibsons,  to begin with, belonged to the Free Church. In 1900 it joined in the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches to form the United Free Church, and again, in 1929, it became Whifflet Parish Church.

Whifflet Parish Church
- Big Tree Bar on right of photo - old buildings due for demolition on left

Whifflet Parish Church in foreground (now demolished) - houses demolished
Whifflet Public School on left of School street - the building is still there!! St Andrews High School (now demolished) to right of street

Calder Parish Church

The Garturk Church was erected in 1869 and renewed in 1880.

The successful union took place in September 1978 between the Whifflet Parish Church and the Garturk Parish Church became Calder Parish Church. The manse, which adjoins the Church, was totally refurbished and modernised to make it much more habitable.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

St Mary’s Catholic Church

St Mary’s Catholic Church
B listed
Gothic church in Whifflet designed by Pugin and Pugin

 
Contains an elaborate and ornate interior ceiling.

St Mary's Parish was founded in1874 and the church opened in 1893

St. Mary’s is one of the 75 Roman Catholic Parishes in Diocese of Motherwell. The Pugin built church being opened in 1893 makes St Mary’s Church the oldest of Nine Roman Catholic Churches in the town

Canon Hacket's Golden Jubilee 1937

Copyright Monklands Memories  2000-2017
Tell  friends about Monklands Memories