Let us now follow up the course of the water as far as it washes this paroch. About a quarter of a mile up from the bridge, there stands a very good corn mill, called the New miln of Calder.
About a mile up from this miln stands the house of Bradisholme,a family of the name of Muirhead. This is upon the north side of the water, within the paroch of Old Monkland. Its bearing from the church of Bothwell is much about northwest, and about two miles distance. Here is very much wood, upon both sides of the water. Here likways there is a very good stone bridge, consisting of one arch, with a corn miln, called Aikenhead bridge and miln. This is within the paroch of Bothwell.
Upon the south side of the water, within the paroch of Bothwell, about half a mile up from the bridge, stands the house of Tannochside; a very handsom litle house, with parks, gardens and pidgeon house, and considerable wood, upon both sides of the water. This formerly belonged to the name of Jack, but now to the name of Rae. This bears N. W. from the kirk, about a large mile and ane half distant from it. Just north from this, and about half a mile distant, stands the kirk of Old Monkland, in a low ground, all most surrounded with woods.
Nixt upon the same water, stands the house of Roschall, formerly called Haggs. This stands upon the north side of the water, within the paroch of Old Monkland, about a large quarter of a mile S. B. from the kirk, and much about two miles N. W. from the kirk of Bothwell. It is a very handsome house, with a prodigious planting and parks. It now belongs to Sir James Hamilton of Rosehall.
Half mile S. E. from the kirk of Monkland, and much about two miles streight north from the kirk of Bothwell, stands the house of Carnbrue, upon the water of North CAbout half a mile west from Rosehall, upon the south side of the water, and within the paroch of Bothwell,
about a large halder. This is a family of the name of Bayly. About a quarter of a mile south from this, stands the house os Sherrell, upon a low ground at a burnside. It lyes just north from the kirk, at a mile and ane half distant. This formerly belonged to the name of Hamilton; now to James Laurie. The water makes a considerable compas up from Carnebrue, and there are several milns upon it, such as Haggs walk miln and corn miln, both belonging to Sir James Hamilton, and Carnbrue miln, but I pass these.
The Douglas Support Archives
The Rev. Sholto Douglas Campbell, M.A., second Baron Blythswood, is
the second son of the late Archibald Douglas of Mains, who succeeded
to the Blythswood estate in 1838, and assumed the name of Campbell.
After spending some time at Cheam School, he was
educated for the army, but presently, with a view to holy orders, he
entered Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1864
and M.A. in 1878. In the following year he was ordained by the
Bishop of Worcester, and after holding successive appointments at
Nuneaton, Gateshead, and Derby, he was assigned by the Crown the
District Rectory of All Souls, Marylebone, in 1878.
He took an active part in initiating the
parochial mission movement in the Church of England, and though he
had inherited the estate of Douglas Support, near Coatbridge, from
Brigadier-General Sir Thomas Monteith Douglas in 1868, he remained
in his English charge till 1887. In that year he accepted the
incumbency of St. Silas' English Episcopal Church, off Woodlands
Road, Glasgow, which had been built by his father and others. This
charge he resigned only in 1899.
He succeeded his brother, the first Lord
Blythswood, in the title and estates in July, 1908. A month
previously his own historic residence of Douglas Support had been
destroyed by fire, but 'it is being rebuilt and will be occupied by
his brother and heir General Barrington C. Douglas.
1908 - The famous historic mansion of Douglas
Support, the residence of the Rev. Sholto Douglas, at Coatbridge
[Lanarkshire], was burned to the ground. The damage is estimated at
100,000. The property destroyed included many relics of Robert
The mansion house of Douglas Support, which is
picturesquely situated on the North Calder Water, two miles south of
Coatbridge, and is the residence of the. Rev. Sholto D. C. Douglas,
an Episcopal clergyman, perished by fire on June 27. Mrs Douglas had
died a fortnight previously, and her husband had left home for a
change a week later, so that the house was left in charge of the
The fire brigades of Coatbridge and Glasgow were summoned,
but the message to the latter miscarried, causing a delay which
proved disastrous. Neighbours lent willing hands in rescuing the
contents of the mansion, but in spite of this much was destroyed,
including nearly the whole of the library.
A beautiful little chapel
at the entrance, however, was saved, together with many valuable
pictures. One of these was the genealogical tree of the great
Douglas family, The damage is estimated at about 100,000). and is
fully covered by insurance. The fire appears to have been first
discovered in Mr. Douglas's room, but its cause is not known.)
'His Lordship has for long been in the habit of
holding a conference of clergymen of all evangelical denominations
at Douglas Support thrice a year for consideration of devotional and
missionary subjects. He has three mission halls on the estate, and
supports a resident missionary and Bible-woman.
The Douglas Support mansion at top of grand stairway