|Your Home Town|
In 1889 the City of Glasgow bought Gartloch Estate for nearly £8,600. Here the Glasgow District Lunacy Board built an asylum for the poor people of the city. In 1896 the first patients were admitted.
Gartloch Hospital is (was) situated on the eastern edge of the City of Glasgow on the Gartloch Road near the village of Gartcosh. "Gart" in old Scots means a Garden or enclosure. The name probably arose because the original estate had extensive gardens near Bishop's Loch.
When opened in 1896 the hospital had a complement
of 540 beds, this rose to a peak of 830 in 1904 and by 1990 was 530. Although
primarily a psychiatric hospital, Gartloch had other roles.
When Gartloch joined the National Health Service
in 1948 it was placed under the Board of Management for Glasgow North-Eastern
Mental Hospitals. When the Greater Glasgow Health Board was created in 1974
Gartloch was placed within the Eastern District. From 1993 Gartloch was under
the Greater Glasgow Community and Mental Health Services NHS Trust.
The land around the hospital is also being developed as a housing estate -named Gartloch Village