|Your Home Town|
Chapelhall, the biggest village in the Monklands, lies on the opposite side of the North Calder Water from Calderbank and has very similar history. Iron working and coal mining were once prominent - with three blast furnaces working in the early 1830's. The old village also had a quarry, a brickworks and a bakery. The first curator of Kew Gardens, William Aiton, began work as a gardener in Woodhall House near Chapelhall. The population of Chapelhall was in the region of 4600 in the 1980's
Main Street, Chapelhall around the early 1900's
Built in the 1600's Monkland House was destined to burn down a few times. Originally built by James Cleland but later occupied by John Aitken one of the ironmasters who set up a foundry and forge in Calderbank. From the 1790's the house was used by as a residence by the various managers of the Calderbank works. In the mid 1900's it was turned into an Hotel but was burned down again. The building was demolished and the site is now occupied by a very modern housing estate.
South of Airdrie, 1 mile
north of Chapelhall, on minor roads west
of A73, just west of Monkland Bridge,
above ravine on north bank of Calder
The building consisted of a long main
block, running east to west, with round
towers at both of its southern corners.
On the north side against the slope, a
square wing was joined by half its
length at the western corner. In the
re-entrant, a round stair tower accessed
a turnpike stair from the door. This led
downwards to the basement of the main
block, and upwards to third floor level.